Proper dental care is essential throughout the life cycle, no matter what your age. Here are some tips that should bring a smile to your face!
1. Your teeth and gums are made up of calcium, so you can imagine how important it is to make a deposit in the calcium bank. Eating foods such as yogurt, cheese, and soybeans will keep your teeth strong. For breakfast, try having yogurt topped with a crunchy, whole-grain cereal and fresh fruit to start your day off right.
2. Vitamin D, most of which we get from the sun’s rays, helps us absorb the calcium in our body. This is just another benefit of getting outdoors and exercising. If you don’t know what your vitamin D level is, it’s easy to check with a simple blood test.
3. Diets that are deficient in vitamin C can cause severe dental problems, including loose teeth and bleeding gums. Try a salad with citrus fruits, such as orange or grapefruit sections, to boost our body’s ability to fight those destructive symptoms, as well as plaque. Be sure to buffer citrus fruits by including them as part of a meal, because their acid content could potentially erode tooth enamel.
4. Although it seems like a “duh” statement, avoiding sugary foods is pivotal to help ensure dental health. Foods high in sugar, like candy (particularly the sticky types), convert to acids inside your mouth and can cause the harmful decay your trying to avoid.
5. Saliva is one of our body’s strongest soldiers battling bacteria. Foods that promote saliva production, such as tart or sour foods including lemons, limes, cherries and cranberries, can help your body fight bacteria in your mouth. Drinking water is another great way to produce saliva, clear bacteria, and cleanse your oral cavity. Foods that have a high water content also help to thwart the process of decay by diluting the sugars in the foods you consume. In other words, eat your fruits and veggies.
6. If you can’t find your floss during the day, opt for Mother Nature’s toothbrush. Hard, crunchy foods, such as carrots and apples, can clean your teeth naturally.
7. Make sure you are brushing and flossing twice a day, every day! Flossing should be a part of your morning routine, and both brushing and flossing after dinner could even help you lose weight by discouraging bedtime snacking.
8. See your dentist every six months. Your teeth may not look dirty from the outside, but bacteria and plaque lurks in places you cannot see in the mirror.
9. Rinse out your mouth with mouthwash, or at least water, after every meal. This practice will help kill germs and prevent other from knowing you had onions on your sandwich.
Remember that a smile speaks every language – it’s the only thing that depicts “one size fits all.” A healthy smile wouldn’t be the same without shiny teeth to lend their support.”
Visit Justice Dental to learn more about how important healthy teeth are to your overall health!
We’re Not Your Average Lexington Kentucky Dentist
From the moment you step into our office you’ll quickly realize that this isn’t your average dentist office. Our mission is to deliver the very best cosmetic dentistry and whole health, anti-aging dentistry by creating natural, beautiful and healthy smiles.
We promise to keep customer service and patient comfort as our top priority, all while delivering the very best treatments and procedures available today in any Lexington dentist – whether it’s delivering the perfect smile, reconstructing your whole mouth, or helping you identify or prevent whole health wellness.
We are world class, proudly nestled right here in Lexington, KY. From one of the top 25 dentists in the nation to handpicked teams of doctors, hygienists, surgeons and dental specialists – we create natural, beautiful, and healthy smiles which function with optimal comfort and durability.
Contact us today, and learn more about how we can help you design your perfect smile!