Halloween Dental Tips by Justice Dental, Lexington KY
The seasons are changing, the air is getting cooler, and we’re nearing every kid’s favorite holiday… Halloween! Who doesn’t love dressing up like their favorite character and getting pounds of free candy? Of course, we mean other than you worried parents out there. Read our dental tips below!
To help save your children from the sugar overload and the variety of dental problems that can occur from all the candy, here are a few helpful dental tips from the ADA and Justice Dental to help keep those smiles healthy!
1. Consume Halloween candy and other sugary foods with meals.
- Saliva production increases during meals and helps neutralize acids produced by bacteria in your mouth to help rinse away food particles.
2. Avoid hard candy and other sweets that stay in your mouth for a long time.
- Unless it is a sugar-free product, candies that stay in the mouth for a long period of time subject teeth to prolonged acid attack, increasing the risk of tooth decay.
3. Avoid sticky candies that cling to your teeth.
- The stickier the candies, like taffy and gummy bears, the longer they take to get washed away by saliva, increasing the risk of tooth decay.
4. Drink more water.
- Consuming optimally fluoridated water can help prevent tooth decay. If you choose bottled water, check the label for the fluoride content.
5. Maintain a healthy diet and make sure the meals you eat are nutritious.
- Your body is like a complex machine. The foods you choose as fuel and how often you “fill up” affect your general health and that of your teeth and gums.
6. Avoid beverages with added sugar such as soda, sports drinks, or flavored waters.
- When teeth come in frequent contact with beverages that contain sugar, the risk of tooth decay is increased.
7. Chew sugarless gum.
- Chewing sugarless gum for twenty minutes after meals has been shown to reduce tooth decay because increased saliva flow helps wash out food and neutralize the acid produced by dental plaque bacteria.
8. Brush your teeth twice a day with fluoride toothpaste.
- Replace your toothbrush every three to four months, or sooner if the bristles are frayed. A worn toothbrush won’t do a good job of cleaning your teeth.
9. Clean between teeth daily with floss or an inter-dental cleaner.
- Decay-causing bacteria still linger between teeth where toothbrush bristles cannot reach. Flossing helps remove plaque and food particles from between the teeth and under the gum line.
10. Visit Justice Dental twice a year for regular cleanings.
- It is important to come see us twice a year in order to prevent dental problems from occurring and maintain a healthy smile!
We’re Not Your Average Lexington Kentucky Dentist
From the moment you step into our office you’ll quickly realize that this isn’t your average dentist office. Our mission is to deliver the very best cosmetic dentistry and whole health, anti-aging dentistry by creating natural, beautiful and healthy smiles.
We promise to keep customer service and patient comfort as our top priority, all while delivering the very best treatments and procedures available today in any Lexington dentist – whether it’s delivering the perfect smile, reconstructing your whole mouth, or helping you identify or prevent whole health wellness.
We are world class, proudly nestled right here in Lexington, KY. From one of the top 25 dentists in the nation to handpicked teams of doctors, hygienists, surgeons and dental specialists – we create natural, beautiful, and healthy smiles which function with optimal comfort and durability.
Contact us today, and learn more about how we can help you design your perfect smile!
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!