TMJ Pain refers to the temporomandibular joint which is the complex joint system that connects the upper and lower jaws. Typically, the pain most people experience is muscular in nature.
There are muscles that attach to ligaments and to the disc that pads between the movable lower ball joint and the upper stationary socket; and therefore, the term TMJ is widely known. There are extreme cases of disc deterioration and joint arthritis that are skeletal in nature and the treatment of these types of pain are very different.
There is a dental appliance that can be used to detect if this is a muscular issue called an NTI appliance. This appliance is also excellent for migraine headache sufferers. In the meantime, try these exercises!
1. Put your mouth through resistance training to help with tmp pain!
- Place your thumb under your chin, and open your mouth slowly by lowering your jaw while still applying pressure with your thumb.
- Hold your mouth open for 3 to 6 seconds then slowly close your mouth. Repeat 3 to six times.
2. Exercise the joint in the opposite direction.
- Open your mouth, and pinch your jaw by placing your thumb underneath your chin and your index finger below your lower lip.
- Apply resistance as you close your mouth. Repeat 3 to 6 times.
3. Hold your tongue on the roof of your mouth and slowly open and close your jaw. Repeat several times.
4. Use side to side movement to exercise your jaw.
- Place a pencil between your teeth, and move your jaw slowly to one side then the other. Repeat several times, using a thicker object as the exercise becomes less challenging.
5. Use forward and backward motion to exercise your jaw.
- Place a pencil between your teeth, and move your bottom jaw out so that your lower teeth are farther forward than your upper teeth. Repeat several times, and use a thicker object as the exercise becomes less challenging.
We’re Not Your Average Lexington Kentucky Dentist
From the moment you step into our office you’ll quickly realize that this isn’t your average dentist office. Our mission is to deliver the very best cosmetic dentistry and whole health, anti-aging dentistry by creating natural, beautiful and healthy smiles.
We promise to keep customer service and patient comfort as our top priority, all while delivering the very best treatments and procedures available today in any Lexington dentist – whether it’s delivering the perfect smile, reconstructing your whole mouth, or helping you identify or prevent whole health wellness.
We are world class, proudly nestled right here in Lexington, KY. From one of the top 25 dentists in the nation to handpicked teams of doctors, hygienists, surgeons and dental specialists – we create natural, beautiful, and healthy smiles which function with optimal comfort and durability.
Contact us today, and learn more about how we can help you design your perfect smile!
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!